Wednesday, November 30, 2011

If That's Romance, Count Me Out



          Wuthering Heights is considered by many to be one of the greatest romances in literature. Although I can definitely understand why readers see some romance within the novel, I myself do not believe that it is a great romance. In my opinion, romance should consist of more love and romance than drama and sorrow. And I think I speak for many when I say that within Wuthering Heights, there seems to be more drama and sorrow than anything else. However, this novel is not alone when it comes to using drama excessively within romance. Too often are romance and love depicted as needing drama and conflict to exist, whether it is in novels, movies, theater, or television. Romance should inevitably lead to happiness, not fighting and depression…right?
            In Wuthering Heights, none of the characters ever really reached true romance, in my opinion. I would consider true romance to be a happy, loving relationship between two people that is not constantly surrounded by or involved in drama. True romance is instead filled with love, happiness, and respect for each other. I don’t believe this label would apply to any of the couples in the novel. For example, Edgar’s love for Catherine was never completely reciprocated, in that she always had a love for Heathcliff, even when she was married to Edgar. On the other hand, Heathcliff’s love for Catherine was also never truly reciprocated because they were never actually able to be together and share their love for one another, except maybe in their afterlife, which is debatable. So, with all the drama within this love triangle, I do not see how Wuthering Heights could be considered a great romance, when really, none of these characters had what I would consider a true romance.
            I don’t live in a fantasy world where I believe that couples who have a true romance never argue or have a disagreement. Couples will argue, it’s unavoidable and in my point of view, sometimes necessary. But to constantly be fighting and upset with each other, that is not romance. That is just a couple’s own personal soup opera, and it’s not healthy. However, within every type of entertainment and media, if a romantic relationship is being displayed, there is almost always a serious conflict that is involved in the couple’s relationship. For once, I would like to go to a movie, or read a book, or watch a play, and have a couple that has not had any issues. But no, there’s always some sort of drama. It could be that the boy doesn’t want to be seen with the girl he likes because she’s different from his social group (Grease) or the girl’s father would not approve of her boyfriend, so she keeps him a secret (Dirty Dancing) or (and this one always makes me so angry) the girl doesn’t really believe in love (500 Days of Summer.) There is always drama or conflict in the relationship. Even if the couple is in a happy, loving relationship at the end, there is always something that was keeping them from being that way from the beginning. And frankly, I just think it is unrealistic. I realize that a plot needs a conflict, but does it always have to be so dramatic? And can’t it involve something else other than their relationship? I understand that there will be occasional problems within relationships, but if you go through ridiculous, exaggerated, and unnecessary drama during a relationship, it just seems not worth it to me. Can’t couples just be happy and together without having to undergo such a traumatic experience to get to that happiness? I have seen plenty of couples with great relationships that don’t recreate their own episode of Days of Our Lives every day. It is possible, and from my experiences and observations, more common.
            So, no, I do not consider Wuthering Heights to be a great romance. I also do not consider a majority of the “relationships” that media and entertainment create to be great romances either. Love does not equal drama, and drama does not equal love. Unfortunately, it is commonly portrayed that love is fueled by drama and requires it for existence. But if that’s romance, then count me out.

1 comment: