Tuesday, January 31, 2012

To Each Their Own

     Sometimes it can be difficult to understand and accept that the way we view things can be different from how others view things. Our perceptions can differ due to a variety of reasons, whether it is our culture, our upbringing, our religion, or any other influence we experience. It was discussed in class that Adele Ratignolle, one of my favorite characters from The Awakening, could have been intended by Chopin to be perceived as either an admirable character or as something less. I immediately thought she was intended to be perceived as a less-than-admirable character because of her naïve devotion to her husband and children with disregard to discovering her true self, as Edna was trying to do. However, I soon realized that I viewed Adele in this way because of my upbringing and my culture. I was judging Adele based on my own standards instead of taking a more global and general perspective on her as a character. Even if we don’t do this intentionally, we as humans in general characterize and judge people by comparing them to our own personal opinions of how we believe they should behave.
            I, as previously stated, do not really approve of how Adele chooses to live her life in complete devotion to her husband and children without any regard to her own personal need of self-discovery. I enjoyed her as a character in the novel, however, because she allowed me to understand what women were typically like within this setting, and I could therefore clearly see how Edna defied everything the culture demanded of her. But, just because I have a somewhat negative opinion of Adele, does not automatically mean that everyone else who reads the novel will. It is very possible that, for example, a full-time stay-at-home mother in today’s American society that reads this novel regards Adele as the quintessential woman because she does not believe that Adele is lacking a self-discovery and she feels that Adele is doing exactly what she needs to as a mother and wife. Even though I don’t agree with this opinion, it is not my place to degrade this perspective and label it as “wrong” because I don’t believe there is a wrong opinion. All opinions are based off of what we ourselves believe is right, and there will most likely never be a general consensus among all humans on what is right.
          Another example of judging others based on our own perspectives is within the reality show “19 Kids and Counting.” This show follows the Duggar family, which consists of two parents, Michelle and Jim Bob, and their nineteen kids, all of who Michelle had herself.




















The show receives criticism from many people, including claims that because they have so many children, the children will never have a special individual bond with their parents. However, Jim Bob and Michelle both completely believe that they are doing what they claim to be “God’s work for them.” They feel that they are doing the right thing by raising a large number of children that will each be, in their opinions, great members of society. Now, who is to say which opinion is correct? The Duggars may be judged and criticized by many people, but they themselves may criticize those who do not have a large number of children. I don’t believe anyone has the right to condemn the way other people live their lives, and sometimes I wish everyone would embrace the saying “to each their own.”

1 comment: